Day by day Eagles Super Bowl Observations: When Jeff Stoutland, Donovan McNabb have been each at Syracuse
Roob’s Observations: When Stoutland and McNabb have been each at Syracuse initially appeared on NBC Sports activities Philadelphia
TEMPE, Ariz. — Two Eagles all-timers who labored collectively 1 / 4 of a century in the past, a mystical efficiency by LeGarrette Blount and a Super Bowl second that gave Nick Sirianni chills.
It’s Friday, which suggests the Super Bowl is simply two days away and in addition means it’s Day 6 of Roob’s Day by day Eagles Random Super Bowl Observations.
1. Donovan McNabb and Jeff Stoutland each made indelible marks on the Eagles’ group, McNabb because the winningest quarterback in franchise historical past and Stoutland as the best place coach in franchise historical past. However for 2 years within the Nineteen Nineties, they have been collectively at Syracuse, Stoutland as offensive line coach and McNabb as a formidable dual-threat QB who led the Orangemen to a 35-14 report.
“Donovan was one of the crucial aggressive people who I’ve ever been round,” Stoutland mentioned Wednesday. “You would possibly know Donovan as a jokester, however that was his method of type of protecting it free with the blokes and everyone. However when it was time to go to staff interval, when it was time to go 7-on-7, I’ve by no means seen a man as aggressive as him. And I all the time remembered that. I used to be like, take a look at this man, he needed to win each single rep.”
To at the present time, Stoutland has a photograph of McNabb scoring on a 51-yard TD run towards Miami throughout a 66-13 win on the Provider Dome in November of 1988.
2. Patrick Mahomes has began 93 games and has had a passer score over 100 in additional than 60 % of them (56 of 93). No person in NFL historical past has had extra games with a 100 score of their first 5 seasons.
3. Solely 5 quarterbacks in Eagles historical past have gained extra games than Jalen Hurts’ 25: Donovan McNabb (100), Ron Jaworski (72), Randall Cunningham (63), Carson Wentz (35) and Norm Snead (28).
4. In his final 12 games earlier than Super Bowl LII, LeGarrette Blount averaged 3.5 yards per carry, fifth-lowest throughout that span amongst all NFL backs with 100 or extra carries. In his 16 games after the Super Bowl – taking part in for the Lions – Blount averaged 2.7 yards per carry, lowest within the league. Within the Super Bowl itself, Blount ran 14 occasions for 90 yards and a 6.4 common, eighth-highest in Super Bowl historical past. Blount solely had one game in his final 5 NFL seasons with a 6.0 common or larger and a landing, and it got here in a Super Bowl.
5. It’s an absolute travesty that two of the 50 voters for the AP MVP award didn’t checklist Jalen Hurts of their prime 5. I’d love to listen to their justification for that call. Hurts bought one first-place vote, 26 second-place votes, 11 third-place votes and 10 fourth-place votes, so 48 of the 50 voters (together with me) had him within the prime 4. And two didn’t embrace him in any respect? Sure, this type of factor is subjective, however there’s completely no method Hurts wasn’t one of many 5 most precious gamers within the NFL throughout the common season. There simply isn’t.
6. Nick Sirianni is certainly one of solely six head coaches in NFL historical past with a successful proportion of a minimum of .670 and a Super Bowl look. The others are Don Shula, Jim Harbaugh, George Allen, Vince Lombardi and John Madden.
7. Jason Kelce was on a podium for an hour Monday, an hour Tuesday, an hour Wednesday, an hour Thursday. He in all probability answered about 30 questions every day, so let’s say 120-ish questions. The gang round his podium started rising a minimum of half an hour earlier than he was scheduled to reach every day and it by no means bought any smaller. Clearly, the Kelce-Kelce angle was a part of it, however actually Kelce has progressively grown into one of many greatest stars within the NFL. He’s a future Corridor of Famer. He’s bought an unbelievable persona. He’s a remarkably considerate and affected person interview. He’s humorous as hell. Just one different sixth-round decide has ever made 5 All-Professional groups, and he performed practically 70 years in the past. Solely 4 facilities have made extra All-Professional groups and none of them performed this century. Watching Kelce Thursday it struck me, he’s with out query the most well-liked middle in NFL historical past.
8. The primary Eagles-Patriots Super Bowl — Super Bowl XXIX in Jacksonville after the 2004 season — is certainly one of solely 5 postseason games and the one Super Bowl that was tied after the primary, second and third quarters. It was scoreless after the primary quarter, 7-7 at halftime and 14-14 after the third quarter. Among the many 4 others was the 1948 NFL Championship between the Eagles and Playing cards at Shibe Park. That game was scoreless after the primary, second and third quarters earlier than the Eagles gained 7-0 on Steve Van Buren’s landing run a minute into the fourth quarter.
9. Nick Sirianni was requested throughout the week if he is thought of what the moments earlier than kickoff can be like Sunday as he stands on the sideline ready for the game to begin. I assumed he’d say one thing like, “It will be like each different game.” However he did not. He opened up a bit about what he’ll be feeling, and it was fairly cool to listen to.
“I’m making an attempt to remain within the second of every single day we’re in, however you recognize, that’s one thing that I’ve all the time thought of, what it is likely to be like to listen to the nationwide anthem at a Super Bowl,” Sirianni mentioned. “The second that I keep in mind most as a child rising up in Jamestown, N.Y., was I actually keep in mind the Whitney Houston one the place she sang on the Payments vs. the Giants (Super Bowl after the 1990 season) and the way highly effective it was and also you get the goosebumps fascinated about it on the point of play that game. You concentrate on being in that second of the Super Bowl, of listening to the nationwide anthem and the way a lot that’s going to imply. As a result of it type of makes you consider all of the exhausting work that you simply needed to undergo to get to the second that you simply’re in proper now. It’ll be an excellent feeling. I’m not going to let myself get wrapped up in that feeling as a result of proper after that we’re going to have a job to do. However I’ll let myself take pleasure in that second for a second and revel in that feeling as a result of — and everybody’s going to really feel that method — a number of exhausting work (went into it) and there’ve been lots of people who helped me get to this spot, and it’ll be cool to hearken to it after which get to work.”
10. 5 days earlier than the Eagles confronted the Rams within the 1949 NFL Championship Game at L.A. Coliseum, the gamers, coaches, coaching workers and beat writers launched into a three-day constitution practice journey throughout the nation. The Grand Canyon Streamliner left Philly’s Broad Avenue Station at 6:10 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 12, arriving the following morning in Chicago. The Eagles labored out that afternoon on the College of Chicago’s stadium earlier than getting again on the practice and stopping the following day in Albuquerque for a Thursday observe on the College of New Mexico’s observe discipline.
The staff arrived in L.A. round midday Friday and practiced that afternoon at Gilmore Stadium, which was demolished simply three years later to make room for CBS Tv Metropolis, the place tons of of widespread TV reveals have been filmed (together with All within the Household, Dancing with the Stars, the Daring and the Lovely, Hollywood Squares, the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour and the Gong Present). After the Eagles gained 14-0, they took the practice again to Philadelphia, arriving about 10:30 a.m., on Thursday, Dec. 22. In accordance with the Inquirer, “a number of hundred” followers welcomed them at North Philadelphia Station.
Subscribe to the Eagle Eye podcast
Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | Watch on YouTube
Leave a Reply